View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #18
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Cab, No ill will towards you but John, Andrew, Benji and Chris (thanks for the support guys ) all make more credible arguments then yours. I hope and pray that you (and all others never) have to some face to face with an invader, be they armed with nothing more than the ability to bench press 300lbs, or a club, knife, or gun... or something worse. I take issue with you comments and I've put my comments in red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Your child is more than welcome to come play at my house.
They won't be allowed to visit you as you've already indicated that you are unconcerned with protecting them.

Protected by a security system proven infinitely much safer and effective...
I can disable 99% of home security systems in less then 5 minutes. Any competent burgular can probably disable the system in a lot less. Most home invaders gain entry through an unlocked door, either left that way or opened by an occupant.

...than your ballistic skills. Armed home invasion is such a ridiculously uncommon crime, your "it's for home protection" excuse is laughable if not pathetic.

I live in what is consider a relatively safe neighborhood. But in 1995, a neighbor was accosted at gun point while walking his dog around 10PM one evening. The preps (two of them) forced him to take them to his home and raped his wife at gunpint while he watched, his daughter 11 year old and her visiting friend were in the next room. (fortunately left allone and unharmed. No Help from the security system that he'd had installed only 4 months prior to the incident.

If you are so scared of life you need a gun to feel safe, what are you doing on a motorcycle?
I'm not scared of life BECAUSE I know how to protect myself, and more importantly MY FAMILY. I ride because I'm not scared of dying and, more importantly, I really enjoy it.

And secondly do your depends undergarments fit under your suit?
Your comment is more childish than your preconceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman511115 View Post
Your "fact" is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
Where on earth were you taught this bit of knowledge?
Quoting Cab from above ..."than your ballistic skills".
I'll take my "ballistic skills" over an 8-12 minute police response time any day.
During my 20 years in the Marines, 25 times Qaulified Expert with;
  • M-14
  • M-16 Colt (commonly called an AR-15)
  • .38 Cal Smith and Wessom revolver
  • .45 Cal 1911 Colt
  • 9MM Beretta
Honestly, the chances of needing a gun to defend yourself during a home invasion are in fact pretty slim. Chances of my house burning down are also pretty slim, but I carry insurance none the less.

Plus, guns are pretty fun.
And I hope you never have to depend on your Security System, or the 8-12 minute responce time of you local law enforcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
.....Let's take a deep breath and consider how responsible adults handle dangerous items and substances with regard to children. This goes for power tools, poisons, knives and other sharp objects, alcohol, medications and, yes, firearms. You teach kids to leave them alone, you restrict access to them by hiding them or locking them up, and you don't make a big deal out of it. This is plain, simple common sense.

My handguns are in a safe when I'm not actively handling them. On those rare occasions when kids are in my house they don't know that I own a gun and there's no way I'm going to tell them.
In my house there are three safes. Two of which all occupants can open in the dark without a flashlight and withdarw the pistol, loaded with a magazine and one in the chamber, which is there. My wife and childern (both now adults) know how to use these weapons and my childern were taught to use these weapons as teenagers.

Securing a firearm from access by those who should not be handling it is the responsibility of the owner. Any owner who abdicates this responsibility is, frankly, behaving stupidly IMHO. I agree... THREE SAFES
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
This is dumb. Why not have both security system and guns? Also why would your child be able to access your guns? There's these things called gun safes.
"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft USMC, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
The story that goes with this quote can be found here... http://www.togetherweteach.com/Sayin...Craftstory.htm