View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Greenaero's Ninja Hypermiling project

Hi All, I started competing in fuel economy competitions last year sponspored by motorcycle designer Craig Vetter. After competing in the 11/2011 Las Vegas to Barstow Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge, I thought a lot about my future participation in these real-world fuel economy contests. While I'm pleased to have improved a 40mpg bike ( 1982 Yamaha Vision 550 )into a 60mpg+ machine I have to recognize the inherent disadvantages my Vision ( 550cc, shaft-drive ) presents versus the 250cc gas bikes and the diesel bikes that have been the previous Vetter Challenge winners ( 134 mpg to ~ 157 mpg). I decided to start looking for a used 250cc bike to modify for future fuel economy runs.
After about 2 weeks of searching I found a 1999 Kawasaki Ninja 250 in good running condition for a good price and well under my project budget. It was a salvaged bike and so I had to have it inspected by the police and the engine and frame #s verified to get it titled and registered for street usage.

I adjusted the valve clearances, sparkplug gap, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and changed the oil and filter. I topped off the tank and rode it around running errands for a few days before doing my first official mpg calculation: 65 mpg.
12/31/2011- I rode with Alan Smith( Ninja 250 streamliner, 116 mpg best ) and another stock 2008 Ninja 250 as well as a Triumph 1100 and a BMW
1200. We topped off our tanks at the start of ride and refueled at the end of the ride 126.7 miles later. The ride was at a spirited pace on twisty backroads on a cold day with with about 20 freeway miles on the way back. Alan got 89.47 mpg, the 2008 ninja got 62.1 mpg and I got 72.8 mpg. I was pleased with how the bike runs and how well it handles. It was interesting to compare the 2 stock ninjas with Alan's to see how effective his modifications are. I'm pleased to already have beaten my best tankfill on my Vision 550cc ( 66.8 mpg) .
Now that I had my baseline I was ready to start my modications. I began with some aerodymic modifications: larger windscreen , fully faried front fender, changed to a lower seat pad and a small strap-on tailsection. I got a best tankfill of 76 mpg.
Next I changed my front and rear sprockets from 14/45 to 15/41. I also modified the tail section so it was taller and came to a point in the back. I will be refueling soon and will post the results. CHeck out photos my bike on the gatllery .

I realize many people are currently not interested in fuel economy but I believe that as the price of fuel increases this will change. I hope to help to others who are interested in getting great fuel economy out of these excellent motorcycles. I'm doing this because I think its important for all us to do our part to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and to efficiently use our limited natural resources. This is my personal contrbution in reducing the flow of American dollars to the sponsors of terrorism. I believe we all can make a positive difference.
best wishes, Greenaero

Last futzed with by greenaero; January 29th, 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: grammar
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote