View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #21
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I plan on writing an article on riding techniques to get optimal fuel economy. I usually ride at the speed limit ( 65mph to 70 mph) sometimes faster if the traffic demands it. In a few words, its all about using the least amount of energy to get to your target speed then maintaining your speed, using your brakes as little as possible by looking far ahead down the road; avoiding the starts and stops that eat up lots of fuel. To get to speed I accelerate moderately but shift quickly at the low end of the powerband ( 4-6K rpm)and get into the highest gear that the bike will cruise comfortably at the target speed. I corner smoothly at high speeds to conserve my momentum. Its kind of like racing a tobaggan or a soapbox derby car ; using your forward motion to the maximum before you replenish it by opening the throttle. Its all about paying attention to all the details all the time just as you would if you trying to go fast as you could all the time. Only hypermiling is safer, and saves your bike and your hard-earned dollars. Hope this helps.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote