Old February 7th, 2023, 07:16 PM   #13
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
the Thermo-Bob unit is a complex unit that actually opens and closes the bypass circuit as it opens up the regular cooling system that valve arrangement
Negative, ghost rider. The thermobob is just a round aluminum can with hole for the bypass in addition to the normal hole headed towards the radiator. The thermostat only controls flow through the radiator, it does not control the flow through the bypass. The bypass flows a small amount of coolant whenever the engine is running, regardless of temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
The problem is where would you put it.... when all is said and done there is very little room to do anything on the Ninja... the stock thermostat housing is right under the gas tank and there isn't much room there
It fits under the gas tank, just above the head; same place as the factory thermostat housing. It's a little annoying when it comes time for a valve lash check, but that was manageable, IME.

The only issue I encountered with mine was conductivity. The temp sensor is grounded via the housing, because that's how temp sensors commonly operate. The thermobob is annodized, which meant it didn't conduct well and my temp sensor didn't work initially. I suggest running a tap through the threads for the temp sensor when you install it to get bare metal contact. That worked for me.

I apologize if I have some details missing, or if I'm fuzzy at all. It's been 5+ years since I've owned my Ninja and a lot of the work I did to it was before that.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote