View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #19
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

While I generally agree with your post, I'd like to point out that those extra feet you've saved by coming in at 30mph are irrelevant if the car pulls out 2 seconds later. The physics of it is fabulous in an ideal world in which the old lady blows the intersection at the exact same time every day, but that's not the case. While obviously slow speed will account for greater reaction time relative to the distance of the obstacle, the distance between your bike and the obstacle is literally a game of chance. You could have sneezed before you put on your helmet, and had an extra 2 seconds to react lol. The point is I agree with the general theme of your post, but I feel including exact physics and figures promotes the illusion that there's a high degree of science in PREVENTING accidents. In my opinion, science kicks in DURING the emergency, when you realize you have half an intersection to figure something out. Assuming the car running the intersection is a random event, your just as likely to get t-boned at 30, as you are to get cut off at 50 lol
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote