View Single Post
Old April 27th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #91
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
A little off topic. When I practice my emergency braking, I usually do it between 25-40mph. I never thought about doing it at higher speeds because....well....I wasn't able to find a road that was completely traffic free that I feel safe going 60mph.

Well, I found that road recently. No homes on the road at all. It's a military area that's fenced off on one side and nothing on the other side. This road is a few miles long and most of the time, you don't see any cars on it at all.

Anyways, I decided to practice braking at 60mph. Noticed I didn't say emergency braking....because I was a little chicken as I never practiced at this speed before.

I did it twice (yes, I made sure no one was in sight behind me and in front of me). I didn't squeeze down hard enough to the point that ABS activated. I would categorize this has hard braking....not emergency braking. The rear end did get really really light (didn't leave the ground).

But The front end did get a tiny bit squirmy. I don't know if you guys can tell from the video. But it was vibrating. Because of the tiny little front end vibration, I was reluctant to give it another go with more braking force.

I'm pretty sure it's not ABS because I tested the ABS in the past by grabbing a fist full without progressively loading up the front contact patch and when ABS activated, there was quite a bit of vibration transmitted to the brake lever itself. This time around, no vibration on brake lever....just the handlebars. Any idea why?

Link to original page on YouTube.