View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM   #140
icbm
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
We've been into this so many times on this forum. Do we really have to get back into it again?

Yes, but only on a wider rim. And even then a) it will weigh more, which will make the bike a little less able to be flicked back and forth, and it will be more unsprung weight, which means the suspension will be less effective, and it will be more rotating weight, and b) how often have you been able to power-slide on a 250 on a 130/70-17 rear tire?

The catch with your example is the build and compound of those two different sizes of tires. The tires available in 150/60-17 sizes are all super-sticky, radial sport tires. The tires in 130/70-17 are not as sticky, and are usually bias-ply construction.

A tire in a 130/70-17 size that is the same construction and same rubber compound as the tire in the 150/60-17 size will keep the handling characteristics of bike (i.e. lightness between turns) and get more grip than the stock tires.
Your talking extremes. I will tell you what. I will compare total weights of the stock wheels/tires to the bigger wheels/tires. Then see how much of this weight could cause such a huge problem with suspension which by the way has been completely upgraded and adjustable. Now the gyroscopic effect will play a small part but these are not Carbon Fiber or Magnesium wheels where the outside weight of the wheel matters most. Look up MOI. The tires being larger should weigh slightly heavier or pretty close to any comparable or same brand tire in the factory size. Same goes for the wheels. So yes the combination will be heavier....big deal. Your talking about a bike that is already super light and will be lighter from other mods I do to it. A fair trade in my book.

Available lean angle is my goal. All I have to do is mod my dogbones to allow me to raise the rear enough to compensate. Not a problem.
icbm is offline   Reply With Quote