View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Here is where you continue to put everything back together.

Now, you will notice that the clutch disc assembly rotates. This seems like a problem when trying to remove the clutch bolts. But, there is a simple solution. Get a screw driver and wedge it between the peg and the groove on the pressure plate. This will prevent the clutch disc assembly from rotating as you apply pressure to either remove the bolts or torque them down to spec. (It is a little tricky and kind of a balancing act, but I did it by myself. Having a friend to help you may make things a bit easier)

Take your time. Insert the bolts with love and care. Hand tighten all of the bolts first (in a star pattern). Then, grab your trusty torque wrench and begin to torque down the bolts.

Lube everything with a little oil. Don't get overzealous, just a nice thin coat is fine. If you need to clean parts before the installation, WD40 works great!

Keep all particles away from the open engine. If the job requires an extra day, then put the clutch cover back on and tighten a couple of bolts slightly to hold it in place. More importantly, this will keep moisture out of the engine. Moisture collects VERY QUICKLY overnight, so seal that clutch cover to the engine case to prevent outside moisture from creeping into the engine.

*Note the nice and clean gasket mating surface. This is what it should look like...clean. No scratches. Scratches may cause oil to leak. Don't get paranoid, just take your time and use a soft brush. Also, keep the mating surface free and clean of any oil when you install the paper gasket.

Yes, you may end up getting a little oil on the gasket, and as long as you dry it up as best as possible with paper towels, you will be fine. It won't cause a leak as long as you have clean metal-paper gasket-metal contact and you torque the clutch cover in a star-pattern to proper torque specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1921.jpg (94.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1937.jpg (54.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1938.jpg (67.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1926.jpg (73.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1946.jpg (95.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1947.jpg (107.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1949.jpg (104.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1948.jpg (105.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1929.jpg (79.7 KB, 58 views)

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote