View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2020, 04:17 PM   #10
NorthernNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone1 View Post
No, I hear you! I just realized there was a link to the video and watched it lol! I'm an idiot. I absolutely love molstering my bikes too and customizing them. I feel it gives the bike a personal touch and attitude that expresses the riders persona. When it comes down to non-factory engine swaps or full custom suspensions and more technical things, I don't think I'm as competent enough in my mechanical skills as you are to get it done in the first shot or a few. I've never ridden a Ninja 500, so I wouldn't know the difference of the chassis when compared to the 250. However, I'm quite interested in the handling characteristics. Is the 250 chassis more maneuverable and agile than its 500 counterpart? Or are they about the same? And how will the Ninja 250 behave with a Ninja 500 motor? Will it feel the same as a 500? We'll find out on the next episode of DRAGON BALL Z... I look forward to the finish product . BTW your definitely right about the insurance on them. I pay only $18 a whole year for my Ninja 250... Liability only of course because let's be honest, who wants pay full coverage and get robbed from insurance companies? If the bike wrecks, and I pray it never does, then its so much cheaper to just go get another Ninja 250... These bikes are almost like disposable bikes sadly... but well built quality bikes nonetheless. You're right about buying the complete running bike as well... its usually cheaper than buying parts lol... I purchased a full running ninja 250 from an impound lot for $200 I used for parts. The damn back fees on the late registration fees costed more lmao! No point in buying parts that will run you more when you can get a complete bike. Keep the videos coming.
I've been playing with bikes for a few years now, modifying and stuff. Granted it's a lot of my income now, but honestly one of my goals with this build is to show that this stuff is reasonably affordable and easy to do yourself with the right support. obviously I do have access to some pretty advanced stuff but i'll be trying to at least explore the options for those that don't. Like my last episode I made PAIR block off plates, which was basically free and can be done with hand tools, instead of just throwing money at it. (not sure if i posted that, if not I will.)

In terms of the handling characteristics, the ninja 500 is okay, i have ridden one a few times but never hard. The wheelbase is about 1.5" shorter on the 250, and the fork angle is a little bit more tucked under the bike, so it turns in a bit quicker, feels a bit more supersport like. The suspension is similarly not great on either of them. Overall the 250 just handles a little bit more sporty, the 500 feels a little more toury. In terms of a 500 swapped 250 with normal geometry, I would imagine it would feel pretty similar to the ninja 250 with a real heavy backpack, lol. it's an extra 30-40 pounds, but it is weight that's low in the chassis and close to it's natural center of gravity, so I think it'd feel pretty normal. But because I will be drag racing mine It will actually be lowered, so adding the extra weight and changing the geometry, i'm not sure exactly how it'll feel. Hopefully not horrible, but worst case i'll just use it for racing and nothing else. we'll just see what happens! like you said they are kind of disposable bikes. which is unfortunate, until you want to buy more of them, then it's kind of nice haha.

Don't even get me started on insurance lol. I just pay liability. $2800 for the year. 1 speeding ticket for 15 over, and only 2 companies in Ontario that'll insure me. the ticket comes off in May so hoping i'll be able to shop around and get something a bit cheaper. Maybe $2000, that would be a pretty good deal for here.

Thanks for the support!
NorthernNinja is offline   Reply With Quote