View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #11
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmx29 View Post
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I will certainly take a look at the books and videos you recommended.

So basically when I come to a turn I will slow down and have my braking/clutch work be before the turn. I will look through the turn and turn only my head. As I take the turn I countersteer into it (maybe going 15-20 MPH) and then roll the throttle through to maintain balance and to get perpendicular as I exit the turn.

My question is how worried should I be about my lean. Should I be careful leaning starting out (as I get used to these types of turns) or should I lean as much as needed to safely complete the turn.

My biggest thing I have been paying attention to is ensuring that I don't get on and off the throttle in the turn. I make sure everything is smooth.
Sounds like you are doing your homework and working on all the right things. Throttle control is VERY important and smooth is fast

As for how much to lean....one way to think about that is to "go with the bike" meaning that once you initiate the steering you should let your body follow and "go with," or "lean with" the bike. You want to be nice and relaxed, I sometimes tell students to be like a "wet floppy noodle" and just go where your bike goes

People get very caught up in trying to lean, or trying to hang off, or forcing things when they are riding instead of just going with it.

Keep learning and happy riding!!

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.