Old July 31st, 2015, 11:51 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Addendum.

One day you may find yourself going through a corner and feel as if the bike suddenly wants to fall over. Your heart will leap into your throat. You'll probably be going pretty slowly at the time.

This in fact happened to me as recently as this year, at the track.

It just... happens, seemingly with no warning. But why?

It's because you increased your lean without giving it enough throttle -- or any, for that matter. The effective radius of the tire decreased, the bike suddenly slowed as a result and hey presto, you're now going too slowly for the amount of lean you've got. Physics wins, again.

In 28 years of riding I've only crashed once, and it was when I was a noob. It's been so long I don't recall if that's what I felt, but I do know I was going slow and I do know I didn't give it throttle. Therefore that must be what happened.

So think this through and map it against what you've heard. Say you're going through a corner where you have to tighten your line and you slavishly keep the throttle totally closed until the apex no matter what. What happens? You lean over with the throttle closed, then you lean a little more, with the bike slowing all the time, then....

Get the picture?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote