Old August 3rd, 2015, 09:12 AM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
From viewing the picture I'd say (90% sure) that it's a coolant pipe leak.

The EX250's cylinder head gaskets are very robust (if the cylinder head has never been removed from the engine and subsequently reinstalled). The only exception to this rule is if the engine has been severely overheated.

The coolant pipe junction to the cylinder head is a well known and common leak point. Just a minor weak-point in the design of what is otherwise a top-notch, high revving jewel of a small-displacement, flat-plane crankshaft, parallel twin engine.

This junction tends begin slowly weeping coolant after a valve adjustment procedure. This happens when the person doing the valve adjustment "man-handles" the coolant pipe while removing the valve cover. If you feel that you've disturbed the coolant pipe junction while doing the valve adjustment you have to carefully insure that the piping is fully re-seated and properly secured in the junction (and based on the age of your EX250's ('89 and '01) I'd say that it might be time to replace the junction O-ring with a new one).

Also, while looking at the picture of your bike's cylinder head I have to say it appears that the cylinder head's spark plug water drain port is plugged up with something (looks like tan-colored dirt in the picture). I had a similar experience with my Suzuki GSF400 when a mud-dauber wasp decided that my cylinder head spark plug drain ports would be a perfect place to store its eggs.
I haven't done a valve adjustment yet. Just got the bike legal on the road. Like many of these poor bikes it sat for a while. This is on the '01.

Just did an oil change, oil didn't look milky.

Didn't know there was a spark plug drain port. Just googled it and found a picture. I'd say yes mine if plugged with a mud dauber nest.

Oh well something else for the kid and I to tear apart and play with. These little bikes will be a fun Father Daughter project.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote