View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2019, 06:08 AM   #7
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I'd urge to disregard the *number* of turns on the pilot screws and instead urge you to set each cylinder (AFTER a ride, bike fully up to temp) by finding its "sweet spot". The required number turns out on each cylinder will differ.

Beware of burns....a very hot, semi-dangerous job for the more experienced. Gloves on, shop rags or towels draped as necessary over crankcase area to temporarily protect and insulate your hands and forearms from heat....work 1 cylinder at a time...turn the pilot screw inward, at a certain point that cylinder will begin to stumble....turn back outwards a bit at a time till the cylinder recovers, then further as necessary to reach its highest RPM....do overs are fully acceptable till you are confidant you've found the "sweet spot"....I think you'll sense and hear it...then and only then...do same to the other side.

A large pedestal type shop fan is very helpful for this type of hot "running in place" procedure.

Pretty sure I posted all this before.
Yeah, that's how I went about setting them initially which left them at about 2.8 turns. Yesterday I closed them then opened them to 2.25 just to give me a baseline and eliminate that as a potential culprit. Just odd that it was running/re-starting fine then went south after such low mileage since being all tuned up.