View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2018, 05:20 PM   #1
NinjaBraap
NinjaBraap

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 636, 2016 Yamaha R3 (Street/Track), 2019 Ninja 400 Project Racebike

Ninja ZX6 cross year caliper fitment.

Hey Ninjette!

So I've taken a break (pun at your own discretion) from working on my Ninja 250 due to weather and being otherwise busy.

I recently rebuilt my 06 Ninja ZX6R (636) from the ground up, which included a full brake system rebuild (including powder coating the calipers). Before rebuild they were pretty ******, even with Vesrah Semi-metalic pads in the heat of summer. Post-rebuild, and lot of work, they're better, but still ****. Even my Ninja 250 brakes that have only had the fluid replaced and bled regularly are far better.

How are they ******? They don't engage until almost full lever in with (adjustable or stock lever, doesn't matter), and the lever pressure feels like I need to bleed it, even after full rebuild of calipers and cylinders, with new reservoir, new pads, then pressure bled from all points not once, not twice, but 3 times. Then I tried back bleeding using a syringe again, 3 times. I tried zip tying the brake lever engaged and bleeding, I've tried leaving the lever open and bleeding, I've tried pumping the lever and bleeding.

This is highly unusual, as I've never had this problem on any other bike or hydraulic device (clutches both cars and bikes). It doesn't get better after heating up the brakes either. The closest thing was to simulate a longer plunger rod with spacers, but then the brakes would drag which caused a whole new set of problems.

Since this seems to be a problem specific to this bike as every other bike I own and/or have worked on I've never had so much trouble, I'd like to just all out replace the brake system, and upgrade to braided lines in the process. The 05-06 ZX6R and RR use Tokico calipers, with a Nissin Master Cylinder. What I'd like to do is use the 07-08 Nissin Calipers as it looks as they seem more reliable, and 07-08 used the same size rotor and style of caliper mount. I just need to know if the center to center bolt distance is the same, and if they should fit the 05-06. I know the caliper bolts are the same.

I know that was long, but I've tried using other forums and there's hardly anyone on them usually, and they don't ever give as good of answers.

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be very much appreciated, as well as if anyone knows whether the 07-08 calipers will fit.
NinjaBraap is offline   Reply With Quote