Thread: KTM RC390!!!!!
View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #120
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

perhaps it's just me but i don't ever understand this line and i hear it so much.

"want a bike that can go on highway at lower rpm's"

why?

The power and torque for any bike are generally in the higher revs, sure a large displacement bike has more low end grunt but regardless why wouldn't you want to be in the meat of the power band unless you are trying to save on gas <--- generally not my top priority
While I'm cruising down the highway the extra rpms are a bit annoying to me. If I'm on the highway I'm travelling larger distances where gas mileage plays a large effect. Everywhere other than highway (excluding stuck behind a slow car) I'm in a lower gear and using the power of the vehicle this is why a 1000 would be an awful street bike for me since I could never use one properly on the streets. A 675/650 is my current reasonable maximum on public roads and I won't get one of those for years to come. Gas mileage is a priority to me when I'm traveling bland distance and performance when I'm on a twisty/fun road. There's also the bit that if you roll off the throttle a bit (because you want to stretch out your wrist a bit due to riding at the same exact wrist position for half an hour or more) when you're higher in the rev range you lose more speed quicker which can be potentially dangerous if there are cars behind you.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote