View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2023, 03:31 PM   #3
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Related: AdvRider: Long Term Review / Easy CarPlay or Android Auto For Any Bike

Quote:
Is It Worth It?

In a word, absolutely. I’m already used to using CarPlay from many miles in my camper van. It’s wonderful to have exactly the same interface on my motorcycle as well. There’s nothing new to learn, and no adjustment to make from one vehicle to the next. I’ve had “affordable” Chinese electronic equipment before, but the fit, finish, and quality of materials in this unit is much better than my $30 Baofeng ham radio. The quality of affordable Chinese electronics is definitely improving. I do wish it worked better with my cheap gloves, but my problems would be solved by buying a pair with capacitive fingertips, which I’ll do the next time I need new gloves. In over 1,000 miles of riding and even a low-speed drop, I’ve had no problems whatsoever.

For a fraction of the price of a Garmin zūmo XT, I’m quite happy with this purchase. It performs nearly all the same functions. I need to get to know the REVER app a bit better, and then I can follow routes from .gpx files, which is the reason I started using a Garmin instead of my phone in the first place. It does have a few quirks, but I can live with all of them. If you’re still concerned about the quality of Chinese electronics, keep in mind that you can buy four of these for the price of one zūmo XT. It’s definitely worth the savings to me.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote