View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghettiknight View Post
I bought a pair of Shinko sr740/741. They were a good price and had decent reviews. I mounted the front tire a couple of days ago (after ALOT patience and elbow grease) I made sure I had the direction of rotation right as I did not want to have to endure the procedure again, but after having a buddy mention something today, we noticed the tread makes it look like the tire is mounted in the wrong direction.

I attached some pictures of the new tire and old tire next to each other and with the arrows for direction of rotation next to each other. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a motorcycle having tread looking like it would direct water into the tire for any reason? I'll give Shinko a call and update with what they say but just seems bizarre to me.
Assuming the average motorcycle tire is spinning between 600 and 700 R.P.M at 60 miles per hour I don't think water is inclined to "build-up" on the moving tire tread. All the groves are there for is to allow water to squeeze out from under the tire, prevent "hydroplaneing" and allow rubber to stay in contact with the road surface. I think it matters more that there are groves than in what direction the groves are cut.

Bill