View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:16 PM   #40
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Off topic: The only time I get a tad nervous is when I know the light is going to turn green within 5 seconds and a car is approaching from the rear 200ft away. I know it'll turn green before he will be fully stopped. In that scenario, I keep my right foot on the brake to signify that I am still at a full stop.

Once the light turns green, I accelerate like I'm drag racing. But even before it turns green, I'm constantly scanning cross traffic to make sure there are no red light runners and also making sure there are no cars making a left turn in the opposite direction (left hook) that may jump the light once it turns green (this is in additional to keeping an eye on the mirror to make sure I won't get rear ended).

I just hate the vulnerable feeling from a car stopping short behind me.

I also point my wheels towards the middle of the two lanes (ready to filter if I feel he/she won't stop in time).

But if you're first in line, right in front of a red light, what recourse do you really have as an escape route if someone comes in too hot from the rear? You obviously shouldn't accelerate through the intersection running the light and get t-boned. What do you guys do? What is your escape route in that situation?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote