View Single Post
Old January 14th, 2020, 05:48 PM   #12
jcarbelbide
ninjette.org member

Name: JC

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2011 DR650

Hey all. Really sorry for the radio silence. Work got really busy towards the end of the year and I haven't had a chance to touch the bike until last weekend. I have read everyone's replies. Thank you so much for all of the help and advice. I wanted to try troubleshooting from the ground up, so I don't miss something obvious, and just to rule out some more stuff. Here is the stuff I tried last weekend:

1. I was suggested to look at the petcock. This is what I have done for it so far to check that: I cranked the engine with the tank connected to the carb. When I disconnect the hose from the tank, fuel falls out, so I'm guessing that is working. I'm not sure if that is an adequate enough check. I didn't check for a fuel filter. I will check this weekend, but I don't think I remember seeing one on the tank side at least. The carb side hose is on there pretty good, and I haven't really tried to take it off and check yet. I am planning on working on the bike a bit more this weekend. The only think I'm not sure I remember seeing is if gas was actually in the floats of the carb after cranking. I have to double check this weekend.

2. I checked the compression of the engine. I removed one of the spark plugs and put my palm over the hole. I felt pressure on my hand. I'm no expert (at all), so I don't know if there was enough, but I think that part is probably fine.

3. Checked the spark by grounding the electrode of the spark plug to my engine case. Again, no expert, but there was a spark, and the next point (#4) makes me believe the spark is fine.

4. With the tank disconnected to the carb, I opened the air box and sprayed engine starter into it. Closed the air box and cranked the engine. The engine started for a few seconds until the starter fumes ran out, and then would stall. I tried this many times, and the engine started every time with starter fluid. I then connected the fuel to the carb and tied again with starter fluid. Engine started up, but died after the starter fluid ran out. I disconnected the fuel line from the tank, and some fuel came out of the hose, so I think the carb is getting fuel. I tried with the choke on with the same results. I think I also tried with the tank set to reserve and same thing happened.

5. I turned the pilot jets in 1 turn, putting it at 1.5 turns. I was thinking that maybe the bike was running too lean and wasn't starting. That didn't change anything. I had it at 2.5 turns before (1 turn = 360 deg turn)

Another important piece of information I'll repeat: Before the bike stopped working, I rebuilt the carb. I replaced all of the gaskets and jets and also redid the floats. I think I might have messed up the floats. I set the float height to 17mm, but to be honest, I probably messed this part up somehow. The floats seem less springy than before. Not sure if thats an issue. Could this be causing the bike to not start?

So in summary, the bike starts with engine starter, but doesn't stay running when the fumes run out. It doesn't run with the tank connected. I'll try again this weekend with the choke on and the fuel set to reserve. Might be worth adding more fuel to the tank, as I don't have much in the tank, but I'm expecting to see the same results. Because of what I'm seeing, with my limited knowledge of how bikes work, I'm guessing it's a carb mixing issue, where gas and air aren't mixing right in the carb. I have no really done anything to check the air intake (not really sure what to look for). I'm thinking about reaching out to ducatiman for a carb overhaul. Hopefully that will help the bike run, but I would hate to get it back and the bike still doesn't run. I have a feeling theres some other issue going on, but I don't know what it is.

I know it's been a while since I posted, but I really appreciate any and all help I can get. Thanks!
jcarbelbide is offline   Reply With Quote