View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Strange that they've quit giving courses for the year already. Maybe there just aren't enough people that sign up this late in the year.
I think back to buying my first bike. I bought a Honda Super 90. The town I lived in had no freakin' PMS DMS PDQ or whatever motorcycle training courses. The town was about 5,500 people. Your dad taught you to drive a car and really, no one can teach you to drive a motorcycle all they can do is give you pointers and suggestions. Start it, let out the clutch and you're on your own. Have we really turned into such a pathetic bunch of quivering sacks of protoplasm that we have to take a training course? You're not learning to fly a twin engine private aircraft. If you can drive a car and a scooter you can drive a motorcycle.

I rented a 20' van bodied Penskie truck to get my Ninja home. A 12' tuck would have been fine but they didn't have one. The motorcycle trailer sounds like a good ides but I didn't have a trailer hitch. Getting the bike on the truck was no problem as there were three guys there at the purchase point. Getting it off the truck by myself was a-little nerve wracking. I laid an extension ladder parallel to the trucks ramp and covered the ladder with plywood and walked the bike down the ramp (I had no one to help me). I spent $260.00 for the truck. My initial visit to view the bike was by car and $100.00 held the bike until I got back with the truck the next day.

Could you borrow your friends truck? Offer him $200.00. It would be cheaper than a truck rental. A pickup truck is a viable option but you want to make sure you have pick points in the truck bed to attach tie downs.

Don't wait till spring, now is the best time of year to buy a bike if selling price is a major consideration.

Bill