View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #92
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
For me it's getting over that mental block on turn-in of, oh ****, I'm running out of pavement. Turning in early feels "safe" until you start running out of pavement and running wide on the exit. Pushing it later or deeper into the corner helps you see more before committing to a lean angle, which makes for more accurate visualizations and the safest, fastest line through a corner. The more you can see through it before committing to your lean angle, the better you can gauge the corner as a whole. This helps especially in a decreasing radius turn where the corner keeps closing on you.

Hook turns are my favorite way to tighten a corner. Admittedly, it's easier for me to hook 'em when the pavement is predictable (like on a track), even though it's still the best strategy when cornering on the street too because, in essence, the more you lean for the bike, the less the bike has to lean for you. Rubber on the ground is crucial, so you want as much of it contacting the ground as possible. The further you are off the bike in a max lean kind of situation, the more rubber there is still contacting the pavement.
Hooking is fun! At the track, once I set my line, I can continue tightening it up all the way through just by smoothly moving my body further down and off. Keeping pressure off the bars, supporting yourself with the outside knee on the tank is important to keep in mind.
What kinds of things can you do to get over the mental block of turning in too early? You feel like you are running out of pavement so you turn early which just creates issues later in the turn....what specific things can you do before or AT turn in to help you over come these issues?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote