Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluberryrain View Post
......... So, I should be able to turn the crank around until the cams look like the picture, and everything should fit- I think. Even if this isn't the case, as long as I start with the timing lining up, I can rotate the crank until both cams fit within that above-mentioned rotational position.
Cylinder #2 is the cylinder on your right when you normally sit on the bike.
Normal rotation of the crankshaft is counter-clockwise when looking at the engine from the left (generator/chain sprocket) side.

The 2T mark (which is solidly linked to the crankshaft) indicates that piston #2 is at the top position with IN and EX valves perfectly closed (which means end of the compression stroke and beginning of the work stroke).

For that to be true (an the timing of the valves to be correct), all the EX and IN cam lobes for that cylinder should be pointing up and away from each other).
For higher precision, the lines marked on the cam sprockets should align with the edge of the cylinder's head.

Same should happen for cylinder #1 (left one).

For more clarity, please read this:
http://www.cyclepedia.com/ninja-250-...lve-clearance/
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote