adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoreschoco View Post
I decided not to rev match and just focus on other things. Having one less thing to worry about was definitely as plus to slowly build up my confidence in riding. Downshifting without blipping was just fine. All I had to do is slow down enough and just shift before a turn. It’s slightly jerky, but since I do everything before start leaning to turn, I wasn’t worry about slipping the rear wheel. I wasn’t trying to downshift at high rev anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoreschoco View Post
Made myself to stop double clutching and just blip before I move the stick. It’s so much faster lol (duh.) I found myself downshifting a lot more often than when I was double clutching since it’s much less work. I suppose as long as I’m blipping first, there isn’t much more wears in the synchromesh.
Put these two together and what you get is this:

If you blip on the bike like you're now doing in your car, your shifts will be faster, smoother, and more timely.

That keeps the chassis settled. The bike is happy. And when the bike is happy, you're happy.

Nothing really wrong with the way you're doing it on the bike (slow way down and wait before shifting) but it limits you somewhat. You're narrowing the window of speed at which the shift can take place. You noted the side effect of this yourself... it's jerky.

I like your thinking about learning. Simplify so you can focus, observe and learn better.

Keep working on it. Smooth is good. Skill is good.

PS:I belatedly realized in my long post above about synchros that I may have misled you... the post was about your car and it reads as if it's about both your car and your bike. Your bike's transmission has no synchros.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote