View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Sig99
ninjette.org member

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): 1993 katana 600 (sold) 1999 gsxr750 srad (sold) 1991 zx10 (blown)2016 grom 125 (sold) 2006 ninja 250r (current

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi and welcome to Ninjette! What year is your 250?

You should slow down and do one thing at a time and do it correctly. Otherwise you may be replacing a lot of blown up parts.

1. Remove battery from bike and put on trickle charger for 2-3 days. Check acid level and top off with distilled water as necessary. In meantime...

2. Make coloured decals for battery terminals and battery cables. Make + red and - black. Or buy them from here. Apply to battery and battery cables

3. Pull every fuse and measure resistance across legs of each one. Post results here. Such as:

main fuse = ??? Ohms
fuse #1 = ??? Ohms
fuse #2 = ??? Ohms
etc...

4. With key ON + kill-switch ON, measure resistance between each RED terminal at each coil and +battery cable

5. Drain all petrol from tank and carbs. Replace with fresh petrol.

6. After couple days, measure voltage of battery and post here

With all of his data gathered, we can then come up with step-by-step plan to get your bike running. Might require thorough carb refurb, and possibly replacing CDI box, coils, switches and/or entire harness (depending upon how much was melted).

thanks for the reply, the bike is a 2006. what exact tool do i need to measure the ohms and voltages properly? ill have to pick one up. carbs are clean and tank is too. already marked the positive cable with a red cap i had from a previous bike. when i paperclipped the main 30 amp fuse, i was very quick to disconnect it. when i say very quick, i mean within 2 seconds. is there any chance i fried both coils or the cdi? ignitioin fuse is good, and again coils get warm when attempting to start. link me to the tools i need to get you the data you asked for?

Edit: upon research i found that the cdi is 40$, full harness is 40$, and the coil packs are 40$. i feel comfortable with replacing them myself here in the garage, so how do i know whats bad and where its bad? dont want to replace all 3 if not needed obviously. so ill get a multi meter. but ill need step by step for which settings to switch the multimeter to. im not to familiar with electronics, but im a quick learner. have a link to a good one?

thank you,

Simon
Sig99 is offline   Reply With Quote