Old July 4th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #8
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very strange, D.

I have had one cylinder firing intermittently only when the connectors to that coil were somehow loose.
I shook the wires to see if it would make any difference and it didn't. I am very close to getting an inductive timing light that I can ride with and monitor the spark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
Clogged main jet?

Slider not rising?
All four jets were removed and cleaned. I tested the sliders with compressed air at the intake holes and they both rose. I am thinking about swapping them for the EFI carb's diaphragms. They don't look bad, but the EFI sliders are newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
That sound/feeling is what happened to my friend's bike when his air box boots let loose from the carbs. We could get it to redline at partial throttle, but as soon as we used WOT, the sound/wimpy feeling kicked in right around 9-10k every time.

Can you reproduce this effect at a lower speed? Say, WOT in first gear?

If you are using carbs that are clean and are jetted the same as always, I'm failing to see how this can be a carb issue; carbs are simple things that have very few moving parts...
Carbs aren't really that simple. Especially motorcycle carbs. Lots of little in and outfits. Its very easy to mess one up. I was in a hurry so there is a good chance I missed something. I'll test it more thoroughly tomorrow.

Also, I think I forgot to push the airbox tube springs back forward onto the carb. It had a good seal, but would it make that much of a difference?

I'm 99% certain its the carbs, but I'm open to other things as well. I find it strange that a different carb would give it a totally different personality.

When I poured the gas out of the original carb into a jar this morning, I noticed it was kind of reddish brown. The gas in the tank is clear to slightly blue. The tank has no rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Fuel filter is an easy thing to check. You've checked everything else, right?
Both carbs have their own filter. They are 30 micron filters and don't seem to be plugged up. It probably wouldn't hurt to change it anyway. The air filter seems normal. Not really any dirt on the outside.