View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #20
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I always used the choke until it was ready to idle normally. You could tell by how it felt after about 1-2 miles when you pulled off the line. I'd get a tiny bog that would tell me it was time to turn the choke off.

Anyhow, the easiest way to check for leaks is to spray individual parts of the intake with something flammable (WD40, starter fluid, etc) while the bike is running and see if the idle ever races. Not sure how you'd go about sealing the air box to see where it leaks when you put pressurized air in it. Remember that the air box is only dealing with a 1 psi difference (if that) between atmospheric air and air inside the air box. An air compressor will be overkill.

It still seems weird to me that this happens when in wind. Is it during a cross-wind or a tail wind or a head wind? It's not like the ninjette has a ram-air intake. All the air supply system is concealed by the fairings and should be pretty isolated from winds...
This bike, in warm weather, if I need the choke much farther than my driveway, then its got something wrong with it. If you need more choke than that, then you might have your valves too tight. For most people, its best to set them on the wide side when you adjust them. You get better high end performance on the tight side, but that is only advisable for people racing because idling and starting are much worse.

I tried using propane once, and it did cause the engine to race. But even still, people use pods all the time and don't complain about gusty winds causing the bike to stutter. This happens almost exclusively in a headwind. So even though I might be doing 60mph, if I hit a sudden 10 mph headwind, it will sputter.