Old July 7th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #22
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
This bike, in warm weather, if I need the choke much farther than my driveway, then its got something wrong with it. If you need more choke than that, then you might have your valves too tight. For most people, its best to set them on the wide side when you adjust them. You get better high end performance on the tight side, but that is only advisable for people racing because idling and starting are much worse.

I tried using propane once, and it did cause the engine to race. But even still, people use pods all the time and don't complain about gusty winds causing the bike to stutter. This happens almost exclusively in a headwind. So even though I might be doing 60mph, if I hit a sudden 10 mph headwind, it will sputter.
Yes, I know how to set valves, no they're not wrong... If your engine is idling at 1000 rpm right after starting it the first time for the day, you're in need of choke. I always kept it idling around 2000-2500 with choke until it felt right, then I turned the choke off, and the bike idled nicely at 1500 rpm. Choke helps it start easier, warm up quicker, and run smoother during the first start of the day.

Headwind. Interesting. So it's a load-based issue? Can you replicate it on a hill during a gradual roll-on (not a snap to WOT)? This still isn't pointing to a carb issue for me. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like fueling.

Only time pods gave me issue from wind was with cross-winds; but it wasn't huge like you're feeling. It was just a little stumble, not significant performance loss and funny sounds.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote