View Single Post
Old July 24th, 2023, 08:38 AM   #1
foo_dog
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Kawasaki VN750, 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Smile Greetings from just outside of Philadelphia, PA - 2001 Ninja 250 resurrection

Good morning everyone -

Thank you for the forum. I'm a long time rider but first time with a sport bike.

Wife has been asking for a while about getting into riding, but never liked the bikes I had.
On a lark over the weekend checked Craigslist and found a semi-running 2001 Ninja 250 for $800, not far away being sold by my neighbor. Took the plunge. Figured for that price can't complain too much

(Also working on a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, got that one for only $600. With the new Ninja that makes 2 non-running bikes in the garage...)

Anyway where to start - Ninja has a bunch of scratches. It was previous owner's college commuter and has been down (and sliding) a few times. Will need new brake pedal, possibly new brake/clutch levers. Plastics are beat up but mostly intact. Left foot rest slightly tweaked, looks like it went down hard on that side. Tires are from 2007 (???).

Drained the gas and gave it some Seafoam treatment, got it started. Idles high, not even sure what the desired RPM should be for idle. Rear brake caliper is pretty much frozen. Random wires that don't go anywhere. Rear brake light was MacGuyver'd with some plexiglass. Battery only holding about 11.5 volts.

Started the normal stuff - drained the oil, might do coolant as well. Aiming to get it riding at least a little bit so she can practice before taking any MSF classes. And of course give me an excuse to do some test rides. Bike is really light and easy to move around, I managed to push it up my steep driveway without any issue.

Typing all this up I'm wondering if I really did get a bargain. So I come to you guys for encouragement. Hopefully hear some stories of how these bikes never die and can always come back for me. Please.
foo_dog is offline   Reply With Quote