View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2021, 06:11 AM   #6
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I agree with all, but about the bicycle chain maintenance... good Lord! I thoroughly clean my bicycle chains with a soak and agitation in mineral spirits, and relube them with a vigorous dip in a mixture of mineral spirits and grease about every 600-800 miles. They last at least 15,000 miles that way. I change them when they get more than about 1/16" (1.5mm) longer than new in a 12" (30 cm) length.

If I used your maintenance schedule I'd be doing this every four days!
Jim do you have a single speed ? Pre covid times I used to commute to work 35km one way 3 times a week on a 2 by 7. I was cleaning/lubing them after two days of commute. I was not going to the extent you are going, however. I was just wiping it with a rug soaked in kerosene then let it evaporate over night and used sometimes wet sometimes dry lube. My chains lasted about 2.5-3k km (10 CAD PC830). I am retiring them at 0.75mm however.

If I was busy and skipped the lubing I could hear the chain «*singing*» on the 3rd day coming back home.

Single speed chain on my sons bike I lubed for the first time only after about 300km and it was still ok.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote