View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2017, 08:51 AM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy88 View Post
Even if I do switch to a clip style master link, don't I still need to press the plate on to the chain? How would I go about doing that, Is there a special tool for 415 chains?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The side plate is a slip fit on the pins. The catch is that O-ring or X-ring chaings need the rubber rings to be compressed enough to get the clip on. I use a pair of small Vise Grips to gently squeeze the side plates together. You can put the clip on one pin and reposition the pliers to let you get the clip on the other pin. Of course put the clip on so the open end is trailing when the chain moves (closed end toward engine with clip at top of chain loop, toward tail light when it's at the bottom of the loop).

I expect there are other ways to do it too.
I lube the O/X-rings and put on the side-plate by hand. Then lay an additional old side-plate over to give space for pins to slide into. Then squeeze with vise-grips.

If it's a particularly tight fit, I'll do one pin at a time by putting a washer over pin-head and squeezing them one at a time.

I suppose you can use the pin-pusher tool to press side-plate back on. Just aim pusher-pin right in middle of plate.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote