View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #14
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
I'm sorry, that is the worst advice ever regarding master links.

Please do not use a clip style master link. Especially for a 415 size chain.

Properly done rivet style master links are much stronger than the clip style links. Of course you have to follow the instructions from the DID website and do it right. And you want the exact specified master link that DID tells you to use. don't use anything else.
Well.... it depends upon how much is "good enough". If "stronger" is better, then we should all be running 632 chains. BMX and velodrome riders can actually generate twice as much torque on their crank-spindle as a N250 can at the output-shaft in 1st gear (+250 lb*ft vs. 128). Those bikes typically use size 410 chains with clip-type master-links all the time.

Helps to use as large sprockets as possible to reduce chain's bend-angle as it wraps around front-sprocket. I have 18/59t combo for slightly lower-gearing than stock. I haven't had any problems with my 428 chain's clip-on master-link and the previous owner ran the same configuration; as have many others.

Main issue that's been identified is low-quality master-links that wear quickly. In which case, distance between pins will increase and may actually undo the clip by spreading. That's more of a materials and QC issue than design though.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote