Old March 18th, 2016, 08:53 AM   #10
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
So, did the engine start?
Sorry I missed the notification earlier. Yes, it started right up! Thanks for asking.

Now I start the hell that is carb tuning. My plan is to sell the Area P, so I'm returning the bike to mostly stock, so it shouldn't be too hard. BUT, I have a way of making tuning more complicated. My theory is the last engine died a premature death at ~20K miles due to a perpetual lean spot that cooked the valves/seats, and the really rich spot didn't help keep it clean at all.

Those who have been around a number of years MAY remember the threads where I tore that one down and the valves & seats were a total loss (actually my second engine). Technically they could have been machined, but a) I don't know where to begin looking for a place to do that, b) a new/used ebay head complete with valves priced cheaper than all the little parts I would need buy, and c) it sure is easier. There were other issues, like a scored cylinder wall, and I just got over my head when I decided to tear the ENTIRE engine down. I decided it was time for a new bike, and the 250 sat for 2 years with boxes of engine parts from 2 1/2 engines.... I tried to be organized, but there was only so much I could do.

This time going with a new/used engine was the easiest, and ultimately cheapest option, since I would have to still spend hundreds in parts (rings, gaskets, etc.) attempting to reassemble the mix of parts, with no guarantee. I can live with this, and I can now pull from the other engines for parts. Oh, and I'm not the one who paid for the engine... my brother did, and in return I'm giving him the bike.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote