View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2019, 07:51 AM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'd like to ride an e-bike sometime. I loved my '14 Volt so much that I traded it in for a '19 Volt a couple months ago. The power is different from an ICE. I get that people like the characteristics of ICE, but objectively speaking, it's probably a better powerplant by all metrics. Flappy paddles don't have the same feel as rowing through the gears, but few people would argue that they're inferior when it comes to results.

As others have said, the range is the biggest issue for me right now. My new Volt's battery range is right on the edge for my commute. If I use any gas depends on if/where I drive to lunch and the weather conditions. But I always have the ICE available if the trip exceeds the battery range. If I need to take a long trip, I can just treat it like a regular ICE car. I'm not ready to go full EV yet.

My bike is my pleasure vehicle. I'll just hop on and ride around for however long I feel like riding, on whatever route sounds good at the time. Short ranges and long recharge times don't fit that model very well (as compared to a known, fixed commute). Once we get battery and charging tech to the point where it's comparable to the frequency and duration of gas stops (figuring in a few minutes to grab a drink and stretch your legs, not just the time gas is actually flowing into your tank), e-bikes will be much more desirable.

Also, my new Volt has the highest tech packages you can get. It parks itself, and nearly drives itself between the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist. With a little extra, it can drive itself. And it only ended up costing a couple grand more than this Harley.

Yuck. I just looked up the Livewire's charging details. You can use a regular 120V outlet (Level 1) to charge at ~13mi/hr. It has a standard J1772 L2 port, but it still only charges at the L1 rate - H-D skimped on the AC/DC charger electronics onboard. It also has L3 DC fast charging at ~192mi/hr (~1hr recharge). It looks like most utilities won't even run the 3P 480V necessary for that into residential units (if you wanted to drop huge cash on the best charging option possible). That means you're limited to a 10-11 hour recharge time anywhere there's not a DC fast charging station. For comparison, my Volt's battery is 19% larger and can fully recharge in 2 hours with the L2 in my garage. Check out https://www.plugshare.com/ and filter on the CCS/SAE plug to see how many of those are around you. It looks like MI has about 10 outside of dealerships, with most charging $0.35/min. That's $21/hr (which should be a "full tank" on the Livewire), so don't expect to save much on fuel costs unless you're slow-charging at home.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote