View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2019, 04:02 PM   #19
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
The battery production breakthrough we need is never going to happen. We get teased about how some companies are close to some breakthrough, but I can translate those press releases for you: "This is what we're trying to do, but we've failed so far and now we're out of money. Please give us more."
While it's not a true breakthrough, I think we're making decent progress on EV battery tech. From 2011 to 2016, the Volt got a 51% increase in battery range. That's due to a combination of factors, not just the battery holding 51% more juice. But hopefully things continue like this, and before too long we end up with EVs that are overall comparable to ICE for long-distance travel.

I'd love to see a massive breakthrough where a battery weighs half as much, holds twice as much power, and charges in seconds, but I think that's quite a lofty dream. I think steadily improving capacities combined with improvements in partial charging will end up going a long way to help EVs. If you can really-fast-charge to 70% of a 500mi battery, that's going to be about the same as a get-out-and-walk-around-a-bit gas stop for an ICE car. While you can technically refuel an ICE a little quicker, I think most people would be accepting of a 350mi recharge in 10-15 minutes. At that point you're not "sitting around waiting" like with a 1 hour (or more) charge, you're just stretching your legs, grabbing a drink, and using the restroom after several hours of driving, like most people already do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That's very sad that they chose to skimp on charging on such an expensive vehicle! It really doesn't cost more than $10 to add good AC-adapter for L2 charging.
The Leaf owners paying $2900 for additional 3.3kW chargers are interested in your sources.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote