Old May 29th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #174
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I was with Ant this past weekend.

Ant, I'm glad to see you studying the track map and thinking ahead. It's a good habit to get into and it really can help.

Having ridden a fair bit with you I recognize that you prefer experiential learning, but that can get in the way... at NYST last year you spent almost all of your time just trying to figure the track out and getting lost. That kept you from focusing on your riding.

------

Speaking of "finding the edge," I well and truly lost the rear for the first time in my life this past weekend. Cold (low 50s), drying conditions (a dry line but visible dark pavement), a 10-minute red flag that allowed all the heat to go out of my tires and a steep, tight downhill turn. That lovely combo led to the rear spinning up the moment I touched the gas.

Didn't crash but it was a right proper tank-slapper. Being old, slow and having worn-out adrenal glands helped me... I didn't chop the throttle or go tight on the bars, and the bike sorted itself out after a couple of oscillations. Need to see what the on-board video looks like. Bet it's nowhere near as exciting as it felt.

Despite a very frustrating time Sunday due to not having suitable tires for the conditions, it was a terrific weekend. Palmer backwards is a blast and I've got the scratches in my pucks to prove it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote