View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #1
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Transmission issues

Alright, apparently it isint just me... I would be getting the occasional jump from 6th to 5th and 2nd gear slip outs. Not fun. Just had a customer drop off a 300 trans to figure out a solution. Its a race bike that is having the same issues.

The cause: there is NO factory undercut on the dogs. At all... Normally there is at least a few degrees to help lock the gears in to place when shifting. The 300 has none whatsoever.

To those that dont know what under cut is, think of how the transmission engages the next gear. Its a pin, known as a dog, that fits into a slot. Now, transmissions are not ridged, un-flexing things. When the two contact points come together there is some flex. If the dogs have no undercut like this > ll
the transmission will flex enough to change the angle they contact at when power is applied, and without undercut, it changes in a way that encourages the gears to spread apart. Undercutting cuts the dogs at an angle that when power is applied, it pulls the gears together harder, rather than letting them slip away. It would look more like this and the point of contact > //

I am VERY excited to see what happens when this transmission is done and back in the customer's bike. Typically we see with other bikes much more positive shifts, and eliminated slip outs. Cant wait! Im also excited that I'm not the only one having this issue and its not because of my NooBness
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.