View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:57 AM   #68
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
There's another thing to talk about and before anybody is telling me it has nothing to do with suspension, yes this is right, but it is also an important point for riding quality and safety.
Did one of yall once measure the distance from the pivot of the swing arm to the center of the rear axle to ensure that the rear tire adjustment is straight?
After I'd ride around 5000-6000 km (3500-4000 miles) I saw that the profile of the rear tire on one side (right) was more used or down than it was on the other (left).
Also my feeling was that it is different to turn left than it was in right corners.
So I'd search in the net for a reason and on German MC-websites I found not less riders talking about the adjustment-marks on the swing arm are not always correct.
After that I went to a small shop here to get a tool made with which I can measure the distance from the swing arm pivot to the rear axle (see the attached picture) and with this measurement now I can see that the right side is 2 mm too short, means it must be adjusted 2 mm more backwards.
The tool is plugged into the pivot holes of the frame and then adjusted to the rear axle, checking both sides are the same measurement.
A second check with the laser after the adjustment shows that the chain is absolut straight.
So if one needs the bike in the best condition check for more than only the shock and the fork.
That's a nice tool to have! I like it, and it should do well to check the rear wheel alignment to make sure it is true and square. Thanks for sharing, Somchai!