View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #150
red
ninjette.org member

Name: DJ

Motorcycle(s): TR7, Trident, SuperIII, BMW, HD, Duc, Vespa, MP3

Rear tires are always harder than fronts - stiffer. New stiff tires are always harder to put on than old clapped out tires to take off (my experience anyway). I think rear tires are 2x harder to do than fronts. IIRC, scudman's youtube vids, and most of the others, are always fronts - I wonder why.

Usually after I wrestle a front tire off and back on, paying someone (or finding a friend with a no-mar or hf changer to take a donation) to do the rear is looking pretty good. At least you save 50% of the cost of mounting a set of tires and saves many bruises. Even having a solidly mounted rim clamp to a bench makes quite a bit of difference, which I don't.

The bigger and heavier the tire, fatter the rim, the worse, or nearly impossible, it is with spoons. For me anyway. A 190 on a 6+ inch rim even takes some skill on a manual changer. Still, it is sick to see how easy it is to do normal sized tires and rims on the most basic manual no-scratch tire changer.

Every time I buy a set of tires and change the front I learn this over again the hard way Then I contribute to the local economy to mount the rear.