View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2020, 12:12 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpicer View Post
I recently purchased a second hand 2006 Ninja 250. The bike ran great for about two weeks (other than an occasional issue cranking which I repaired by replacing the starter motor) until a few days after I changed the oil. After this the bike would have trouble starting even with the choke and would die after 5-10 minutes. Since then I have overhauled the carbs, replaced the fuel line from the carb to petcock, emptied and cleaned the gas tank, replaced the inline fuel filter, and cleaned the airbox and air filter. My most recent fix, overhauling the carb, made it so I can start the bike without choke, but it will only start when starter fluid is sprayed into the carb through the air box or occasionally when the clutch is engaged, kickstand up, and is in first gear. In addition to this the bike still dies after riding a few minutes. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Chase
Carbs are not right. Passages or jets are plugged most likely, or there is an assembly issue.

Vacuum line to the petcock may be damaged or petcock malfunctioning.

Gas tank may not be venting properly.

EDIT: Did you remove the idle mixture screws, make sure the passages are clear, and confirm the o-ring is in good condition when you had the carbs off? Screws should be set to 2.5 turns out initially, with final adjustments being done when everything is working properly, engine is warm, and carbs are synced.

Last futzed with by jkv45; June 5th, 2020 at 06:44 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.