View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #213
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
ehhh... made a dumb mistake with the lower. Put it down wrong and got a stress crack on one of he end bits where it mates to the upper. Repair was easy, lesson learned.

I did a trial fit and hooray... the lower fits over the stock cat converter. I was expecting to have to cut it. It's in direct contact, but that's okay. If I get heat blisters it's not the end of the world.

Lesson learned... you have to take a LOT of stuff off to put race plastics on. More work than I thought it'd be. No riding this week; too much of a hassle to put the stock pieces back on.

Plastidipping is underway. For comparison I used Krylon on part of the tail.

Results with Plastidip are mixed. The jury is still out. Finish is no better than rattlecan, but I expected that. I've made some mistakes that will show. No surprise; I have essentially zero experience with painting. It'll look good on the track.

The biggest benefit is being able to remove it... but then, you can always paint over rattlecan. We'll see how it turns out. My graphics are pretty cool. Very understated but there's a little bit of visual "pop" via some hi-viz yellow. Pics forthcoming when done.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote