View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

That $6 Harbor Freight "Drill Master" rotary tool is near useless. I spent hours trying to grind down the pin on both sides of a specific link and I still can't get it out. After grinding it down even to the plate, I tried hammering it through (bent everything I tried to hammer through) and I tried a neighbor's chain break tool (isn't big enough for a 520 chain). Ugh. I bought an EK 520 master link for $5 and it's MUCH smaller in almost all dimensions. The O-rings probably won't be thick enough because even though the plate thickness and area are smaller, so is the pin length.

D2Moto.com says that they are "Volar Motorsports" chains, which looks like just a rebranded no-name Chinese chain with no parts available online (plain white box; "MOD: 520 O-ring-116L BLUE [LINEBREAK]QTY: 1PCS"). All the other colored chains I see clearly show the brand stamped into the links (Driven, EK, KMC), but not this one. Searching only shows other unrelated "Volar Motorsports" products, so they appear to be purely a rebranding-brand and the places selling them, like D2Moto, do not have master links available without the chain.

This one on eBay MIGHT be it, but I can't possibly tell by the image and the description makes it clear that it's generic ("Factory?" LOL!)
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote