View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #21
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Well, my own bike is certainly more fun.

But one day the group was going out, and it was threatening rain. I can keep up with the group, almost all the time, but doing it in the rain wouldn't be smart. So my choice was pillion or stay home. That was one of the times I went pillion. I'm not as good at it since learning to ride, so it takes more attention than it used to.
You make a good point about being a "good" passenger on a bike. The person riding pillion is like the person in the sidecar on a sidecar racing bike. I've had people lean to the right when I'm making a left turn. A bad rider can put you in the ditch.

As for riding in the rain good tires are a must. I stay away from these new tires with nearly no tread in the center. They are fine on dry roads. I think people think it's cool riding nearly racing slicks on the street. That's one reason I've always favored Dunlop K81/TT100s on my bike. I recently bought a new set of Pirellis. The first time in my life I have purchased anything but a Dunlop. I purchased them because they had the O.E.M. profile AND a great center tread. I use the front brake in the wet but very gently. I also slow down a-lot.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote