Old June 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
I have never had that problem because I took a lot of time with my dogs. There is a puppy collar that is less restrictive than a chocker and is a great training device. I have raised several dogs using a simple restrictive collar and lots of time and developed a well mannered dog.

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/puprsg.html
+1

Now here's the thing, you say you tested it on yourself? Where did you place it? on your hand? I would put the thing around your neck and scream at the top of your lungs and see what it feels like, that would give you the best representation. Also record it, it would A) great B) you can see your reaction. Try different settings. better yet you can put it on one of your healing areas, tissue is soft and if the shock is placed at a vain the current can travel the bloodstream and the effects can be felt across ones entire body.

My friend had shock collars, not for barking but invisible fence, but they are placed in the same place around their larynx. I first tried to hold them as a closed fist as tight as i could, interesting feeling. What i did to test these some more was connect the two together via their buckle and then strapped the two around my waist and ran out to of the invisible fence range. Man I have to find and show you that video. Story; i couldn't stop laughing and yelling like a little girl to get it off. I had no success and my friend had to take it off dropping her camera in the process because it was so priceless. I had minor burn marks. ill post vid when i find it.

I really have no problem with my dogs, German Shepherd/Rot Wilier mix (70ish lbs) and Labrador Retriever (80ish lbs). They are no small dogs and speak on command, even got the mix (Rosco) to say "I Love You", Blue the lab is working on it. I did spend A LOT of time with them teaching, training, and playing with them. Its all in good training and patience, no choke collars, no shock collars, (this next part might sound a tad bit gay but) just gotta love them and they will listen to you as their master. You are the alpha, its in their nature to listen to your orders.

Now my dogs are not perfect, occasionally if they see a creature at night, mostly cats, possums, or raccoon (or dogs during the day) out the window before i can see it to break their focus; they will make, at least Rosco will make a barking/howl (i got him to add the howl, still working on it on command, that and growl. Howl came from discovering this first sat of every month tornado warning, use it as a training tool)frustrated that he cant get to it. It took some time to get him to stop that type of barking after an animal, (ill have to record it). But when we tell him to stop, he's good, he stops barking and whimpers like "come on please let me eat it!"

what ever you do, just think if what it will do to you, if u want u can use bark collar for a month or so, after she? learns that she shouldnt bark, even with it off she will remember the haunting shocks. use it as a training tool not a permanent solution. While youre healing spend some time teaching em some stuff, i am working on an updated training section on my website. finals killing most of my time last few weeks.

edit: howd you tag me btw?, just noticed it =D