Thread: Oh my God!
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2022, 04:22 AM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleNinja View Post
Before he chisels away and rounds off every last bit of it, you need to weld a new extra large nut onto the stripped bolt. The problem isn't that it's too tight. It's too tight for your friend to have gotten off with his 12 point socket at a lazy angle. You have to use a 6pt socket that's dead on. Either it comes out, or it breaks the head off because it was actually too tight. If it rounds over you just didn't get a good enough grip. Welding a nut on the rounded over part gives you that grip. If it snaps off then that's perfect, because it won't have any more torque holding it in
Maybe then the chisel would work to spin it out. But I always weld nut after nut until it comes. Nothing else works for me after it's fully rounded (except vice grips on occasion when they're fully cranked down on it with gorilla grip strength)
I got a question to your post guy.... How do you weld a steel nut to a aluminum or pot metal bolt and expect it to stay ? that would be a very good trick !
the idea of doing that on a steel bolt is understood and a very good proven method of removing a seized bolt.... but even if you were lucky enough to find or buy a nut of the same metal can he TIG weld it on there upside down ? ... can he tig weld ? can he stick weld and does he have a dc welder that can weld aluminum rod ? I doubt it....
there is no easy solution apart from removing the motor so you can get at the bolt.... and the owner took the bike and left.... a bad situation all the way around in my book... no one is happy.... time wasted and the guy goes away in defeet .... and he broke an easy out .... the whole situation sucks !
Bob.......