View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #161
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Update

Just checking in prior to the 2018 season. I am now running my own business and spare time is a luxury! I am putting in tons of work now so I can take time of to go to the track once the weather turns nice! I am still trying my best to stick to my diet (holiday food makes it difficult) and exercise. I will be in better physical shape this season which is a victory in itself! I made the decision not to make any significant changes to the bike for this season so I have a consistent starting point.

One thing I did want to mention in this update (and I hope it will spark a debate/discussion) is what I realized re-watching my crash video. I know my body position is not perfect but it gets me by for now and will improve this season. My lines at the track are fairly good and, except for my crash mistake, my throttle control is acceptable. What I am saying is, on an average track day I get around the track a quick (for me) and safe pace. When I crashed I had an issue with not getting my foot not fully back onto the peg. This caused me to not be able to get off the bike as far as I normally would. I was traveling a little faster than average on the lap I crashed on and the added speed along with not being able to get off the bike as far as normal meant I was leaning the bike over farther than I normally would have been at the same point in the turn. When I rolled on the throttle, I was way to aggressive, and with the bike over further and therefore more on the edge of the tire, the rear broke free. This tells me that had I been off the bike more and less on the edge of the tire and smoother with the application of the same amount of throttle, I would not have broken the rear tire free and would not have crashed. This was a huge revelation to me! I am looking for an idea of how much more I can "push" before I find the "Edge of traction". Lets say I added 40% throttle quickly while further over, should I do the same just rolling on slower and not leaned over as far, the rear would have held. I would not go out and try 40% again even very slowly but I would confidently add 10% more throttle in a smooth and constant roll on. Please speak up if you believe I am wrong. Watch my video and consider the final roll on to be about 40% added quickly then let me know if I am thinking correctly. I feel this would be easily handled by the rear tire as I was running all day without the tire slipping until I added way too much too fast. Should I had just rolled the same amount of throttle on slower I would have been lifting the bike up before there was enough power applied to break the rear free. I also want to add that I know to continue to roll on this is just at the moment where I crashed and the 1-2 seconds following. Please discuss
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote