View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2018, 07:56 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Maverick, I'm loving mine. Being able to spin the bike around in my shop so I can easily roll it out the door is wonderful.

Be prepared to tweak the adjustments a fair bit before you get everything right. With two bikes I got it close enough on both and called it an evening. Eventually I'll get around to fine-tuning everything so it's closer to perfect.

"Close enough" simply means you may need to wiggle things around a bit to get the pins into their sockets when you mate the stand with the bike.

The stand itself is universal. It comes with a bike-specific mount that in my case consisted of a beefy machined plate that attaches to the lift with a big bolt, two pins that go into the bike's frame, a socket that mounts to the bike for one of the pins, and a threaded adjustment rod that sets and holds the plate angle.

Since I have two different bikes, I was wondering if I'd have to readjust everything every time I swapped plates. The good news is I don't... the angle rod adjustment is a one-time deal. Swapping plates consists of detaching one end of the rod and taking the big bolt out... can be done in a minute or two.

What I did was to assemble the plate that holds the pins and mount it on the bike, then eyeball how it'd mate to the lift. I marked the positioning (big bolt placement and plate angle) with a sharpie. That got me in the ballpark and from there it was trial and error adjustment.

The mounts are all different. Depending on the bike you may need to loosen an engine mounting bolt, reverse it and replace the nut with the supplied machined/threaded sleeve. This was true for both of my bikes, but was trivial. Just get the torque right when you reassemble--that's a critical bolt.

The stand comes with screw-in feet for, I suppose, extra security in addition to the locking casters. I've found them to be more trouble than they're worth, so I've just put them aside. The casters are high quality and the locks are solid.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote