View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #16
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Maybe chain mail sandwiched between fabric layers or kevlar in order to keep it in place? Conceptually, I like the idea of chain mail but getting in and out might be challenging. Putting it with other layers could keep it in place, and in a crash the fabric would rub off but the chain mail would then take the brunt of the abrasion.
So if you have Levlar, then you don’t need chain mail ! Kevlar is light, incredibly abrasion resistant & easily formed & shaped as a moving cloth or a hard armour. I used to make pre-preg Kevlar for helicopter armoured seats !

If you wanted to use steel as an abrasion layer, then sowing steel cables or thin strips into a garment would achieve the same goal with less weight than chain mail. You could also used steel netting. Both are relatively light & flexible.

I’d leave chain mail for the knights, but would suggest that Titanium mail would be awesome or even 7075 alloy, much lighter than steel, just as tough & no rust ! If you laser welded the rings, it would be incredibly durable to.

YMMV
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote