Thread: Gas Cap Install
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
icbm
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 1985 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

Gas Cap Install

I am not going to go into depth or a DYI on how to change out your fuel cap for a better looking fuel cap. But I want to warn a few of you out there what not to buy as far as brand wise.

I am being cheap on modding this 250 so if you don't like it stop reading and move on. Otherwise, pay attention.

There have been many purchases on EBay that have been made over the years on all my motorcycles. Most have been good but a few slide through with "Not so good" or "Could have been better" moments. This one falls under the "Not so good" category.

So here I am. Most of these inexpensive purchases are in the spirit of losing weight and ease of use. On a race bike looks is last on my priorities. I purchased a SSR (Slingshot Racing) gas cap off of EBay. I also purchased the Preload Adjusters as well but that will be another story once I install those later. Anyhow, all my bikes have the easy spin off gas caps. I started with Vortex brand on my ZRX and they are made well and priced so so. On my Hayabusa, I opted for an off brand Chinese knockoff. After comparing a few different brands on EBay, I chose one and the price was right....cheap. I installed and it fit perfect and to this day still functions right. This one from SSR wasn't all that inexpensive but not much out there for the 250 for a good price.

Well I received it and it does look good and all for the type of aluminum they use (Chinese). Disappointed that no silver bolts were included so I knew I had to supply the factory ones. I attempted to install it and first off would not fit down into the opening of the tank on the outer part. Then upon clocking it to align the 3 bolts that are actually used to fasten down to the tank, well it doesn't line up when you place the spout (inner opening) into the opening of the tank. Hmmm off by about 1/4".

I also noticed that the 3 mounting holes are taller than the unused 3 holes. On the factory gas cap they are all even. I wanted to assure the cap would fit down inside well and be flush with the top of the tank so I grinded them down to be even with the others. I then had to grind the outside of the posts to keep from rubbing on the outside of the opening. No I wasn't going to return it as it would be a waste of time and shipping to bother. For me the problems are nothing I couldn't fix. For some of you a different story. I could have done better like drilling and tapping new bolt holes in the tank as well as making new notches for the unused holes and have everything line up perfect but I chose the easy way out. My main concern is the have the rubber gasket to seal fuel from leaking where it may not contact as well as the other side. Until I ride the bike again I will not know for sure but I do have a fix waiting in the background if it does.

So with all of my bitching I have been doing now, I warn the members here to be careful or aware of what you are purchasing and from who. I have been doing this long enough so depending on cost, I can just about fix anything.....and in most cases I fix it right........not always though...LOL!!

Again the purpose of this change out was for weight loss. How much you ask?

Stock cap with bolts - 1lb 1oz.
Aftermarket cap with bolts - 5oz.
Savings - 12oz.

Yea seems like so little but when you remove weight everywhere you count all the weight. Before you know it a few lbs have been removed.

To SSR, I am very disappointed especially for the price.
icbm is offline   Reply With Quote