View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #70
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdog View Post
I'm going to get smoked for this but... I don't do the all the gear all the time thing, it's just not particle around here, I graduate my gear according to what I'm doing. the bulk of my riding when I wear this will be in the city at speeds ranging from 25-50 mph. If I do the freeway (rare I lost 2 friends on the freeway) I will wear my coat because heat is less of an issue I can unzip it a little and get air flow going through it. I have crashed my BMX bike coming down from Sandia Crest which is a huge down the mountain road, I know I did it at at least 40 because the speed limit is 35 and I was blowing past cars, and when I would use my breaks to slow down they would smoke. would wear out my break pads in one run!!! that was when I was 16 and I wore no gear at all. Its a sacrifice between the safety of the riding situation and pure suffering. But I will probably get arm protection next they just didn't have any.
If you need to unzip your jacket to get airflow, then you don't have a good summer jacket. I have three different mesh jackets where the airflow is great. I also have a perf leather jacket, but the airflow is not so good on this.

I pretty much ride with gear all the time. At a minimum, a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. The only place I occasionally take my chances is on my pants where I wear jeans. If I am going on a long ride though and not just commuting, I will wear either mesh over pants when it's hot, or my Kevlar lined jeans. Temps here, like today, are frequently over 100 degrees. With the right gear, it really isn't an issue.

By the way, riding with your jacket partially unzipped is a good way to get an "uninvited guest" into your jacket. The kind that sting.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote