Thread: A Cry for Help
View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #8
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Yes but is the side-stand relay working? Because that's what provides power to the fuel-pump and ECM. Not talking about cranking, but actual power supplied to the ECM. Ground the diagnostic terminal on ECM and have it display error-codes on dash:

C12 = crank position sensor
C13 = MAP sensor
C14 = TPS sensor
C15 = ECT sensor
C21 = IAT sensor

Since the engine was swapped, it can very well be possible that one of these sensors were damaged, or not hooked up properly. They ALL have equal-weighting on ECM's operation. That is, if any one of them was out-of-spec, the ECM will not function.

You need to gather correct data:

1. what is TPS output-voltage with key ON before cranking?
2. what is MAP output-voltage?
3. what is ECT output?
4. what is IAT output?
5. the crank-sensor also has some adjust-ability and ECM needs to see a minimum peak-to-peak voltage height in order to see a valid waveform.

VR signals are very weak and wiring that passes a continuity test may still attenuate a VR signal. This can of course, be confirmed in differences in waveforms at the sensor itself, vs. what's going into ECU. Not sure of this particular model, but many harnesses uses coaxially-shielded cables for the VR sensor signals and sometimes, the outer shielding-braid may fray and short out the inner-conductor.

I suspect your crank-sensor is fine. It may very well be one of the other sensors. Definitive testing yields numbers in concrete black & white, all-or-nothing terms. Without numbers, you're guessing.
Mr. Ryann,
Thank you for the response again. This is a 1st Gen SV with Carbs and no MAP, ECT nor IAT. The gen 1 also has no "computer" to give codes. The Gen 2 does have the plug you can jumper and get the codes (I had a 2003) but the earlier versions do not. We do not have access to an Oscillascope but as I indicated above, we have ordered a Peak voltage sensor to check the signal from the CPS. The TPS is fine but would not prevent spark should it even be unplugged that just adjusts the timing/ignition map but the motor will run without it and lots of people unplug them for the track.

I really do appreciate your input I just want to get all the info out there so someone might give me the right direction to continue. I have rebuilt and repaired hundreds of bikes in my time and I have never had an issue like this.

Ant
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote